Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was peeping, not even her mouth….*cough cough*…not even a mouse, the stocking (as in singular) was hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nick soon would be there.
I don’t think I will ever reach the age of being old enough to stop reading that story. I mean here I am with my footie pajamas and juice box in an empty apartment reading “The night before Christmas,” as I if I was still a kid dreaming of the masses of presents under the tree. Well I guess it’s not quite like that anymore. Christmas Eve wasn’t too eventful this year. Besides the fact that my scrooge of a boss made me work late so that payroll would balance out, I didn’t really have anything planned. I went with my parents to the Christmas Eve service at church, then enjoyed a nice warm meal that didn’t require me getting in a fight with the plastic covering on stouffers macaroni and cheese. I love stouffers don’t get me wrong, but a good meal comes at a great price. I think the company had the idea to make everyone work for their dinner. ‘First we’ll make’em cook if for 4 hours, then have it sit for another 20 minutes, and if that doesn’t piss’em off, we’ll add a hint of static cling to the scorching hot plastic wrap to really make’em want it.’ I swear it’s in their company mission statement.
I drove out of the Chili’s parking lot after dinner with my family trying to think of the things I could use to keep me entertained for the rest of the long evening while I wait for Santa. I thought about being an old fart and going to bed right when I got home, but something didn’t settle well with going to bed when it was still light out. I always made fun of my parents for it, and here I am contemplating doing it. I toyed with my phone, gently coaxing the buttons contemplating the idea of asking her to grab some last minute coffee. I had her convinced at the Christmas party that coffee and cookies was a Christmas Eve necessity, but she just looked at me like I was some twisted moron who got flavors all mixed up. It isn’t my fault I like some of the strangest things.
I mustered up enough courage to dial her number and let it ring a few times. I was hoping to let it get to three rings then hang up, but she answered almost immediately. It was similar to her answering the door right before I knocked the evening of my best friends wedding. She seemed much better tonight then she did at the Christmas party, at least over the phone, but phone voices can be deceiving. Unfortunately that’s all I have to rely on some times; if that at all. She agreed to meet for coffee, so we decided to go to the coffee shop where all hell broke loose the day I spilled coffee all over my baby blue jeans. I figured I have been through enough counseling and solitude from the place that hopefully no one would recognize me. I can just imagine walking into the place and seeing a giant wanted sign with a reward for $3000 to whoever brings in the moron that stained the carpet.
Just as I hung up the phone I heard a knock at my door. I didn’t expect any company especially on a night such as this where most would be spending time with their friends and family, but I rushed over to the door to find my landlord holding a giant box that said “please deliver on Christmas eve.” I was somewhat shocked to find my landlord delivering this to me now considering he probably had much better things to be doing than visiting the love hating loner with no life. I thanked him for bringing this to me as I unintentionally slammed the door as he left. The wind draft in the apartment was strong enough to give the large door a slamming effect on any victim who renders their path to the swing of the door. No wonder no one ever comes up here.
After I devoured the 300 layers of packing tape, I opened the package filled with 4 tons of packing peanuts and a small envelope. The envelope was plain white with scribbling on the outside that I think said my name. Underneath what seemed to be the name was the instructions “Do not open till Christmas eve.” Well whoever this package was from must have thought I wouldn’t have any plans Christmas Eve, who would’ve thought they’d be right. I tore open the envelope to find a neatly folded half sheet of paper. I unfolded the sheet of paper and read what it said. “I know this may be inconvenient, but it’s part of your Christmas present. You will never get too old for scavenger hunts, by the end of the hunt you’ll understand.” I had really mixed feelings about what was going on. I didn’t think it could possibly be her, because of the circumstances surrounding her life at current, but I wasn’t sure who else it could be. I just eliminated work from all the possibilities. I only really got along with 3 people and they are all happily married in their early thirties. Who would wanna take time out of their busy Christmas schedule to make a scavenger hunt for me?
I thought about calling her back and trying to shoot for a later time considering I now have this adventure to embark on, but something made me feel like I shouldn’t call. I got in my car and drove to the location of the first clue. It was a park on the other side of town. I was somewhat skeptical of the place because this was the place where she and I officially started dating….right there on the swings. I haven’t been here in forever. I guess I tried to avoid coming here with every effort to repress the memories of the times we spent here. I walked over to the swings and found another white envelope. Inside was another set of clues to the next location. I got back in the heated car and drove back across town to a deli shop. I walked inside and the gentleman at the desk immediately handed me an envelope. I wasn’t sure where the deli shop tied into anything, but I figured I would play along.
I was supposed to meet her in 20 minutes at the d-day coffee shop, but I wasn’t sure if this was one of those scavenger hunts where I could put it off for a while and come back to it. You never know on these things. I would feel bad to take a 3 hour coffee break and find someone sitting on bench in the cold wondering how stupid I am when it comes to reading clues. I wasn’t sure what to do so I decided to continue on the scavenger hunt and hopefully she will call with some other brilliant plans for the evening that would count me out. I drove to the flower shop on the corner of 13th and main. Again, I have no idea how such a place tied into the scheme of things; I had never been there before. Who knows I could be aimlessly running errands for someone I don’t even know.
I walked into the flower shop and the lady behind the counter handed me a boutonnière and another envelope. At this point I was starting to piece together what this could possibly mean. I was only hoping she was behind all this so I could at least kill two birds with one stone. I ripped open the white envelope that said “Final Clue” on the outside of it and read the contents. It was an address. I wasn’t sure where it lead, so I plugged it into mapquest on my phone and let the Deloris the navigator coming from my speakers guide me the rest of the way.
As I pulled into the coffee shop where I had spilled coffee all over my baby blue jeans, my jaw nearly dropped at the sight of it. I had always loved the way the coffee shop looked at Christmas time, but tonight it was especially pleasing to the eye. I opened the door and the bell chimed as it made its natural swinging path towards the flush wooden frame. I walked in and saw her standing there with a corsage. I walked over with the boutonnière and slipped it on her hand. She pinned the corsage to the outside of my flannel shirt trying desperately not to stab me with the giant needle. The shop was empty besides the man working behind the counter with a bright smile; helping her make this whole thing happen. It was quite the coincidence we managed to end up in the same coffee shop where it all began; well not really began but re-began. I wasn’t sure what to make of this just yet. Everyone knows I read too far into things, and I was hoping this would be more than just another spoof like the last one, and I really wanted to know what he said to her on the phone the night of the Christmas party.
The room was lit with candles and dim lighting all decked out for the holidays. She took my hand and the music began to play. “Whatever it takes” by lifehouse filled the room as we danced. I was still rather apprehensive about what she was really trying to say with all of this. As the song ended we say down at a table and laughed until we cried. It was a Kodak moment as far as I’m concerned. One without embarrassing coffee spills and dozens of eyes staring right at the giant wet spot on my baby blue jeans. Once we finally calmed down she got rather quiet again. I got nervous knowing what that has meant in the past. She stared right at me and simply asked: “why did I waste my time?” At first I didn’t know what she meant by that. Taken back by the shocking statement I asked her to clarify. She looked back with tears in her eyes and said: “with him.” I honestly had no idea how to respond to such a thing. I thought staying quiet might be the best idea at this point because I have managed to put my foot in my mouth multiple times before by saying the completely wrong thing.
“The other night when he called, he was just informing me that he found someone else. He said he thought it would be a good idea for me to know so that I wouldn’t be in shock if I ever saw the two of them together. He sure did move on fast. It makes me wonder if he ever really did love me. (still crying) I wish I could take it all back.” I sat back still in shock wondering how in the world I was supposed to react. I felt kinda bad for him at this point; knowing I have done the exact same thing. “But all along you were there” she continued. “why?” I was taken back not expecting to have to answer such emotionally charged questions. I decided to take the safe route and said: “Because that’s what friends are for.” She smiled and took another sip of her coffee.
We continued to talk about the past week and all the things we have to look forward to doing, and we even got into our own futures for a while. I was still trying to figure out if it was even possible that our futures could even go in the same direction. I think now isn’t the best time to be thinking about such things.
The man behind the counter came up informing us there was 10 minutes till closing time. She leaned down under the table and grabbed a small package from under her chair and slid it to me across the table. She smiled and said: “Don’t open until Christmas.” I smiled back and grasped the package. We both walked out of the coffee shop and headed over to our cars. We hugged goodnight and I made my way over to my car. As I was driving home I couldn’t help but think about how she must have been feeling after getting news like that. I can only imagine how it must feel to have to sit back and watch that.
I pulled into the apartment and climbed the stairs to my door and opened it slowly. I set the package on the table and stared at it for a few moments. As I diligently remembered her instructions, I grabbed the package and placed it under the tree. I sat back on the couch and watched the flickering lights until I silently fell asleep. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
To be continued…
I don’t think I will ever reach the age of being old enough to stop reading that story. I mean here I am with my footie pajamas and juice box in an empty apartment reading “The night before Christmas,” as I if I was still a kid dreaming of the masses of presents under the tree. Well I guess it’s not quite like that anymore. Christmas Eve wasn’t too eventful this year. Besides the fact that my scrooge of a boss made me work late so that payroll would balance out, I didn’t really have anything planned. I went with my parents to the Christmas Eve service at church, then enjoyed a nice warm meal that didn’t require me getting in a fight with the plastic covering on stouffers macaroni and cheese. I love stouffers don’t get me wrong, but a good meal comes at a great price. I think the company had the idea to make everyone work for their dinner. ‘First we’ll make’em cook if for 4 hours, then have it sit for another 20 minutes, and if that doesn’t piss’em off, we’ll add a hint of static cling to the scorching hot plastic wrap to really make’em want it.’ I swear it’s in their company mission statement.
I drove out of the Chili’s parking lot after dinner with my family trying to think of the things I could use to keep me entertained for the rest of the long evening while I wait for Santa. I thought about being an old fart and going to bed right when I got home, but something didn’t settle well with going to bed when it was still light out. I always made fun of my parents for it, and here I am contemplating doing it. I toyed with my phone, gently coaxing the buttons contemplating the idea of asking her to grab some last minute coffee. I had her convinced at the Christmas party that coffee and cookies was a Christmas Eve necessity, but she just looked at me like I was some twisted moron who got flavors all mixed up. It isn’t my fault I like some of the strangest things.
I mustered up enough courage to dial her number and let it ring a few times. I was hoping to let it get to three rings then hang up, but she answered almost immediately. It was similar to her answering the door right before I knocked the evening of my best friends wedding. She seemed much better tonight then she did at the Christmas party, at least over the phone, but phone voices can be deceiving. Unfortunately that’s all I have to rely on some times; if that at all. She agreed to meet for coffee, so we decided to go to the coffee shop where all hell broke loose the day I spilled coffee all over my baby blue jeans. I figured I have been through enough counseling and solitude from the place that hopefully no one would recognize me. I can just imagine walking into the place and seeing a giant wanted sign with a reward for $3000 to whoever brings in the moron that stained the carpet.
Just as I hung up the phone I heard a knock at my door. I didn’t expect any company especially on a night such as this where most would be spending time with their friends and family, but I rushed over to the door to find my landlord holding a giant box that said “please deliver on Christmas eve.” I was somewhat shocked to find my landlord delivering this to me now considering he probably had much better things to be doing than visiting the love hating loner with no life. I thanked him for bringing this to me as I unintentionally slammed the door as he left. The wind draft in the apartment was strong enough to give the large door a slamming effect on any victim who renders their path to the swing of the door. No wonder no one ever comes up here.
After I devoured the 300 layers of packing tape, I opened the package filled with 4 tons of packing peanuts and a small envelope. The envelope was plain white with scribbling on the outside that I think said my name. Underneath what seemed to be the name was the instructions “Do not open till Christmas eve.” Well whoever this package was from must have thought I wouldn’t have any plans Christmas Eve, who would’ve thought they’d be right. I tore open the envelope to find a neatly folded half sheet of paper. I unfolded the sheet of paper and read what it said. “I know this may be inconvenient, but it’s part of your Christmas present. You will never get too old for scavenger hunts, by the end of the hunt you’ll understand.” I had really mixed feelings about what was going on. I didn’t think it could possibly be her, because of the circumstances surrounding her life at current, but I wasn’t sure who else it could be. I just eliminated work from all the possibilities. I only really got along with 3 people and they are all happily married in their early thirties. Who would wanna take time out of their busy Christmas schedule to make a scavenger hunt for me?
I thought about calling her back and trying to shoot for a later time considering I now have this adventure to embark on, but something made me feel like I shouldn’t call. I got in my car and drove to the location of the first clue. It was a park on the other side of town. I was somewhat skeptical of the place because this was the place where she and I officially started dating….right there on the swings. I haven’t been here in forever. I guess I tried to avoid coming here with every effort to repress the memories of the times we spent here. I walked over to the swings and found another white envelope. Inside was another set of clues to the next location. I got back in the heated car and drove back across town to a deli shop. I walked inside and the gentleman at the desk immediately handed me an envelope. I wasn’t sure where the deli shop tied into anything, but I figured I would play along.
I was supposed to meet her in 20 minutes at the d-day coffee shop, but I wasn’t sure if this was one of those scavenger hunts where I could put it off for a while and come back to it. You never know on these things. I would feel bad to take a 3 hour coffee break and find someone sitting on bench in the cold wondering how stupid I am when it comes to reading clues. I wasn’t sure what to do so I decided to continue on the scavenger hunt and hopefully she will call with some other brilliant plans for the evening that would count me out. I drove to the flower shop on the corner of 13th and main. Again, I have no idea how such a place tied into the scheme of things; I had never been there before. Who knows I could be aimlessly running errands for someone I don’t even know.
I walked into the flower shop and the lady behind the counter handed me a boutonnière and another envelope. At this point I was starting to piece together what this could possibly mean. I was only hoping she was behind all this so I could at least kill two birds with one stone. I ripped open the white envelope that said “Final Clue” on the outside of it and read the contents. It was an address. I wasn’t sure where it lead, so I plugged it into mapquest on my phone and let the Deloris the navigator coming from my speakers guide me the rest of the way.
As I pulled into the coffee shop where I had spilled coffee all over my baby blue jeans, my jaw nearly dropped at the sight of it. I had always loved the way the coffee shop looked at Christmas time, but tonight it was especially pleasing to the eye. I opened the door and the bell chimed as it made its natural swinging path towards the flush wooden frame. I walked in and saw her standing there with a corsage. I walked over with the boutonnière and slipped it on her hand. She pinned the corsage to the outside of my flannel shirt trying desperately not to stab me with the giant needle. The shop was empty besides the man working behind the counter with a bright smile; helping her make this whole thing happen. It was quite the coincidence we managed to end up in the same coffee shop where it all began; well not really began but re-began. I wasn’t sure what to make of this just yet. Everyone knows I read too far into things, and I was hoping this would be more than just another spoof like the last one, and I really wanted to know what he said to her on the phone the night of the Christmas party.
The room was lit with candles and dim lighting all decked out for the holidays. She took my hand and the music began to play. “Whatever it takes” by lifehouse filled the room as we danced. I was still rather apprehensive about what she was really trying to say with all of this. As the song ended we say down at a table and laughed until we cried. It was a Kodak moment as far as I’m concerned. One without embarrassing coffee spills and dozens of eyes staring right at the giant wet spot on my baby blue jeans. Once we finally calmed down she got rather quiet again. I got nervous knowing what that has meant in the past. She stared right at me and simply asked: “why did I waste my time?” At first I didn’t know what she meant by that. Taken back by the shocking statement I asked her to clarify. She looked back with tears in her eyes and said: “with him.” I honestly had no idea how to respond to such a thing. I thought staying quiet might be the best idea at this point because I have managed to put my foot in my mouth multiple times before by saying the completely wrong thing.
“The other night when he called, he was just informing me that he found someone else. He said he thought it would be a good idea for me to know so that I wouldn’t be in shock if I ever saw the two of them together. He sure did move on fast. It makes me wonder if he ever really did love me. (still crying) I wish I could take it all back.” I sat back still in shock wondering how in the world I was supposed to react. I felt kinda bad for him at this point; knowing I have done the exact same thing. “But all along you were there” she continued. “why?” I was taken back not expecting to have to answer such emotionally charged questions. I decided to take the safe route and said: “Because that’s what friends are for.” She smiled and took another sip of her coffee.
We continued to talk about the past week and all the things we have to look forward to doing, and we even got into our own futures for a while. I was still trying to figure out if it was even possible that our futures could even go in the same direction. I think now isn’t the best time to be thinking about such things.
The man behind the counter came up informing us there was 10 minutes till closing time. She leaned down under the table and grabbed a small package from under her chair and slid it to me across the table. She smiled and said: “Don’t open until Christmas.” I smiled back and grasped the package. We both walked out of the coffee shop and headed over to our cars. We hugged goodnight and I made my way over to my car. As I was driving home I couldn’t help but think about how she must have been feeling after getting news like that. I can only imagine how it must feel to have to sit back and watch that.
I pulled into the apartment and climbed the stairs to my door and opened it slowly. I set the package on the table and stared at it for a few moments. As I diligently remembered her instructions, I grabbed the package and placed it under the tree. I sat back on the couch and watched the flickering lights until I silently fell asleep. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
To be continued…

No comments:
Post a Comment